Skip to main content

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Harry
    Keymaster

Got a question? Post it here and someone will get back to you!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just wondering what the difference between the member and participant tags under your names on these Forum pages because I seem to have a participant tage but everyone else I have seen (apart from Harry of course) has the member tag.

[Edit, Harry: This is one of the abiding mysteries of the forum. We have dealt with it by ignoring it up to now. But you have encouraged us to sweep it under the carpet instead, and the tags have been hidden. Possibly not the healthiest way to deal with it, but hey, the Elves are busy!]

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Harry.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I entered the competition using some incorrect information. Any way for me to delete this account?

[EDIT, Harry: There is a ‘delete team’ function if you’re part of a team and want to join another team. There is no self-service ‘delete my account’ function on the site.

On the Rules page there’s this, which is the correct method: We will delete your data on request, submitted in writing or by email to [email protected]

Hope that helps,

Harry]

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi just curious, how do you put a picture instead of just a generic blank box next to your username on forums and leader board?

[EDIT, Harry: We have stopped approving these for now for privacy reasons, but will reconsider later. Sorry if you missed out!]

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can I access the challenges on my phone?

[EDIT, Harry: You should be able to. Let us know if you have any problems. Can you see/read the Introduction in the Challenges section?]

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just checked and i can, thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

For The Challenge answer do we Put all of the decoded message in or parts of it?

[EDIT, Harry: All the decoded message and nothing but the decoded message. Exactly as it decrypts. With no corrections,. Even if it looks like we made a mistake. Which we might do.]

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,
    I requested to join the wrong team when signing up and I can’t change it because it just says ‘request pending’. Is ther a way to change this or should I make a new account?
    Thank you.

[EDIT, Harry: We are working to make it possible to revoke a request, but for now the web team need to do it for you so please email [email protected], and we will get on to it.]

Anonymous
    Inactive

im not sure but there seems to be a spelling error in the first sentence when i’ve translated it. im sure I’ve done it right. its the 16th word; is there a letter missing?

[Edit, harry: It is always possible that a mistake has crept in (though sometimes it is not a mistake) but the rule is always the same. Decrypt exactly what you see. Do not try to correct the text to make up for any perceived errors as we will be marking to the text as presented.]

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello,
    I have recently submitted my answers to challenge one however a few problems have occurred. I would be grateful if someone could help: 1/I accidentally submitted challenge A in the wrong answer box [the one which I later realised corresponded to challenge B], so this has therefore cost me points. Also, I seem to have lost marks for simply putting a header to both answers [CHALLENGE A. . .]. This has unfairly cost me marks as there was no guidance as to how one must format their answer. 3/I noticed some mistakes in the challenges when I translated them, and so I assumed they were deliberate and you were meant to correct them. I’ve only just seen the most recent post about this, and I think it should have been stated clearer not to correct these errors, before starting the challenge, as this has also cost me points, as otherwise my answers would have been completely correct. I would be grateful if someone could resolve these issues, as I have lost points over simple misunderstandings of how and where to submit/format my answers. I am new to the competition.

[EDIT, Harry: Dear Adenine, this is a very fair point and I will see what we can do! Here is the official guidance on submitting your answers, which I will make more prominent on the website. Hope it clarifies things:

The Team Captain (or anyone in the team using the Team Captain account) can submit solutions to either Part A or Part B at any time during a round by typing them into the submissions page. If you need to resubmit (because you found a mistake, or because we pointed one out to you) you can use the same form. Just paste your entry as text in the appropriate box on the form. It doesn’t matter how you format your answer with or without punctuation and spaces and whether or not you use capital letters, however you must only type or paste in the exact text of a decrypt of the message. It is a good idea to use a simple text editor to type up your solution (rather than something like Word) as the spell checker sometimes tries to change what you are typing and any “mistake” in the text might be deliberate. Don’t try to correct any errors
    you think we have made, always type in an exact decryption of the text. Don’t try to tell us what cipher we used, or to ask us a question, or to say how you solved the cipher in the entry form, we don’t read it and it will be marked as an error in the solution. If you need to get hold of us you can post a message on the forum or send us an email at
    [email protected]]

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Harry.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi!
    I don’t think you can do anything about that, I’m afraid.
    I think it clearly states to not put headers. I`m 50/50 on that one. I agree that it is not fair but also in real life that would cost you the British Government in those times. I will ask my team captain or my teacher.
    I’m sorry I couldn’t help much.
    Beasty xxx

[Edit, water_biscuit: I think the important thing to remember is that a computer does the marking, not a person. Things which help people often don’t help computers! Also, while it is against the rules to spam (or appear to spam) the submission box, it certainly isn’t to submit again if you find a mistake, or realise you didn’t quite submit what you should have done. Finally, there are no speed points for Challenge A (you can resubmit right up until the deadline for full credit), and while there speed points for Challenge B, nothing counts for the competition until week 4. Better to have realised this now!]

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by .
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by .
    Anonymous
    Inactive

How do we kick members off our team? A member of my team signed a random person up under a fake email. We wish to remove them as soon as possible. Thanks!

[EDIT, Harr: I am afraid you don’t! An individual has to leave the team. Log in as the fake user and get them to leave the team!]

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a question, do we have to do the practise questions? and if we do, do we get anything from it?

[EDIT, Harry: Strictly speaking that is two questions! No, you don’t need to do the practice questions. They are for practice, and for beginners to learn how to get started. What you get from it is a sense of achievement, early insight into the storyline, and a sense of being part of something! :)]

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.